If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (210) 973-7636

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Kitchen Fire In A San Antonio Home

2/23/2017 (Permalink)

The cause of a kitchen fire in a San Antonio home

This San Antonio home suffered fire damage after a kitchen fire. Fortunately, the fire was contained in the kitchen and was quickly extinguished. However, the damage spread when the air conditioner kicked on, causing the soot that had settled in their HVAC ducts to be blown throughout the entire San Antonio home.

So, how can you prevent a kitchen fire in your home?

  • Don’t leave the kitchen while you’re frying, grilling, or broiling, and definitely don’t leave the house. A fire may erupt if left unattended and the damage can spread quickly.
  • Turn off the stove or broiler whenever you leave the kitchen.
  • Set a timer while cooking so that you don’t accidently forget about the food cooking in the kitchen.
  • Don’t put metal or dry foods in the microwave.
  • Keep things that can easily catch fire, such as towels, food packages, and potholders, away from heat.

What should you do if a fire breaks out in your kitchen?

  • When in doubt, get everyone out! Close the door behind you and call 911!
  • If a small grease fire starts and is confined, put on an oven mitt and smother the fire by sliding a lid over the pan. You can also dowse the fire in baking soda. Turn off the burner. Don’t move the pan and keep the lid on until the pan has cooled completely. Do not attempt to put a grease fire out with water!
  • In case of an oven or microwave fire, turn off the appliance and keep the door closed. Unplug the microwave if you can reach the outlet and do so without putting yourself in danger. Do not use equipment again until it is deemed safe.
  • If your clothes catch on fire, stop, drop and roll! Cover your face with your hands and continue to roll around until the flames are extinguished.
  • If you get a small burn, immediately put it under cool water for three to five minutes. If your burn is larger than a fist or if you have any questions or concerns, seek medical attention right away.
  • Call SERVPRO of Helotes and Leon Springs at (210) 973-7636 for any fire remediation you need completed.

Other News

View Recent Posts